Tuesday, March 25, 2008

hustle**



I love how someone who can inspire has the creative spiritual power to demand someones attention, can keep a room quiet with open ears and concerned eyes.there is so much shouting now a days. so many people demanding your attention...screaming look at me! look at me! I wanna be inspired...not screamed at. there is something about todays world that i have grown tired of.Specifically my generation. We think we can put on a set of clothes and wear a certain hat and like a certain thing. and all of a sudden we are a certain way. Am I being too general?
let me be more specific. A big reason why I have left california..is this exact reason. who are our new heros? Kate Moss and Lindsay Lohan? A lot of folks my age think that if you quote De La Soul, and throw on some stunners and an adidas track jacket accompanied by a bedouin head scarf around your neck. you're all good. you're hip hop. your cool. just like Lauren said, people put dreads in your hair and they forget the pain and struggle and metaphor that dreadlocks represent. I think its totally fine and beautiful to embrace another's culture but let's be real here. sometimes it just looks down right empty and superficial. The bedouin scarf for example...there are thousands of Iraqis and Palestinians in the warpath with the same scarves on them. and we wear them as a fashion statement. I just want to be inspired by good people that are r e a l. and responsible. socially responsible.
i don't want to know people who are chasing money...chasin the limelight. chasin the image. whatver happened to real SOUL.been round too many of those folks chasin the superficial. Now that I am out here in the East I am looking for truefriendship. so i am forcing my self to be more selective. I want to open my mind more and I believe if i ask the universe for this...it will be granted.
above is an ani difranco piece that i play to myself whenever i feel alone or feel uninspired. there is such a sense of urgency in her face and in her voice that resonates with authenticity. It seeps out her pores.
I wanna be round folks like that. people with a sense of urgency for whats real and whats good and really needs to be talked about.


**okay i'll stop now. just gotta get that off my chest.

No comments: